Friday, June 02, 2006

Phillips Screwdriver?

phillips screwdriver
Oh dear. This is one of those items that makes me feel like my head is going to explode. Sort of like a Cretan who says that all Cretans are liars. Or a barber who shaves all men in the village who don't shave themselves.

I picked this little screwdriver up in an antique shop the other day. For only a dollar. I picked it up because I thought it looked cool, like something I might have expected to find in a kitchen drawer at my grandparents' farmhouse, back circa 1964.

It wasn't until after I'd bought it that I noticed the head-exploding properties of this screwdriver. I mean, take a close look at the tip on this screwdriver, and take a close look at the logo on this screwdriver, and then you tell me: Is this a Phillips screwdriver, or is this not a Phillips screwdriver?

Uh, oh. I'm afraid the only possible answer is: No, this is not a Phillips screwdriver, and yet at the very same time, yes, this is a Phillips screwdriver.

Aiieeeeee!! It's the Phillips screwdriver paradox!!!

<head goes ka-boom!!!>

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Francis W. Porretto said...

Let a set which does not contain itself be called "ordinary." If a set is not ordinary, let it be called "extraordinary."

Let C be the set that contains all ordinary sets. What sort of set is C?

Saturday, June 03, 2006 5:32:00 AM  
Blogger Mrs_Who said...

This kind of problem makes me thirsty...I think I'll go get a screwdriver! (I crack myself up!)

Saturday, June 03, 2006 10:05:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phillip's Milk of Magnesia, Orange Juice and Vodka = Phillips Screwdriver

Saturday, January 20, 2007 9:02:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Or you could short-circuit the whole train of thought by observing that, while it is a screwdriver with a Phillips 66 logo on it, it is not a phillips-head screwdriver.

Heinlien once said that all apparent paradoxes are either impossible, or improperly formulated. I sometimes wonder if he was correct. :)

Saturday, January 20, 2007 10:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home